Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Slow and steady..... does it really win the race?


Day 8 of being unemployed....   and slowly I am getting back into the swing of things.  But does Slow and Steady really win the race?  If I just sit back and take my time getting into the audition pool will something just fall in my lap?  Maybe..... it happens....  but will it happen to me?  Probably not.  BASTARDS!  I would love to be at the point in my career... or rather.... at a level in my field that jobs just get thrown to me.... like leftovers at a homeless man.  (I tend to throw my charity....it reminds the recipients "No pain no Gain"....  I'm thoughtful like that.)  But seriously,  I like throwing food at homeless people.   Anyway,  there was a time in my career where certain regional jobs were just kind of handed to me.   A lot of them were productions of the show Swing! which is an amazing show...and I loved doing it!  Without auditioning, I was offered a part in productions of Swing! at the following theaters:  1. Gateway Playhouse (which later cast me without auditioning in On the Town),  2. Downtown Cabaret Theatre (where people brought there own food to the theatre....and after intermission we would have to jump over empty orange juice containers and pizza boxes left on the stage... REALLY?  Raised in a barn much?...not that I have anything again people raised in barns... I love barns....   and Noble.)  3. Marriott Lincolnshire Resort (which later gave me a part in their production of The All Night Strut...which was just a strange version of Swing!.... and during one number I painted my face so inappropriately that I though for sure I was going to be fired... but alas, I was not.... but now that I think about it... I haven't been offered anything there since..i don't know how many years....  hmmmm.) Here's an example of what I put on my face..... I was only on stage for 30 seconds though...not that it makes it any more appropriate!    4. La Mirada Playhouse (Cathy Rigby's theater...  hmmm.. haven't worked there again either...   oh shit...   I'm hated everywhere!)   I turned Swing! down at the Carousel Dinner Theater in Akron.... but that was because I'm a hypochondriac, and thought I was dying of some unknown disease,  and felt it would be rude to accept the job... and die in the middle of rehearsals. (You think I'm kidding... but I am not!)  Was there anywhere else I did that show???? Can't remember... DAMN YOU MARY JANE!  (Self Medicated for years)   I was offered ensemble work at the Theatre Under the Stars' (a.k.a. TUTS) productions of ....oh shit... let me wander through my burnt out memory....   there they are... Singin' in the Rain, 110 in the Shade, and A Wonderful Life.  These were some great theaters to work for, and I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to work at these amazing theaters around the country...    but no my sights are bigger! I would love to work at these theaters again, but I don't want to be an ensemble dancer. Bottom line.    That was never my intention.  I don't love it the way you have to love it to do it 8 times a week.  I LOVE performing... so when I was in these shows... I was having a great time, but looking ahead to something else.  I want to do roles!  Point of Information:  I recently played Orin Scrivello, DDS in Little Shop of Horrors at TUTS..... so that is a start....  (THANK YOU ROY HAMLIN!)  But that was one!  I WANT MORE!!!   I'm INSATIABLE!  Does sitting at home and taking my time help me get these role?   Or do I GET TO WORK!?   I'm not good at just doing nothing.... or at least not feeling guilty about doing nothing.  Last week I sure did a lot of nothing...but wasn't doing it alone...I have my friend...   his name is STRESS!  

So,  this week...   the beginning of my 2nd week out of work,  I've already bumped up a gear.  I had a pianist put down on tape (which really isn't a tape... I just say that cause I'm old school people... OLD SCHOOL!) the melody and accompaniment of some songs I want to work on... IN CASE  I get an audition for these roles.  I figure... if I do wind up getting an audition, I want to be prepared! I'd rather not be scrambling to learn new music a day or two before I have to sing it.  
My list:
"Dead of Alive" from Rock of Ages (I want to play Stacey Jaxx)
"I'm Not That Smart" from 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (Leaf Coneybear would be an amazing role to take a bite out of!)
"Dancing Through Life" and "As Long as Your Mine" from Wicked....  (That shit is kind of high for my voice... but that is why I NEED TO WORK ON IT!)
AND  I am going to learn some stuff from Company, cause Bobby is one of my dream roles of all time.   Hear that Universe?  I WANT TO PLAY BOBBY IN COMPANY!

Also....I have made an appointment to audition to become a member of One on One studios so if....strike that... WHEN accepted, I can sign up for classes there.   Normally I would stick my nose up at a place I would have to audition for and then PAY to take class,  but I am READY TO WORK!    I am ready to put myself out there.... I'm moving people....  getting the artistic juices flowing... or maybe that's Syphillis....  either way.. I'M JUICY!

So basically... even if Slow and Steady wins some races....this ain't the Special Olympics!   I don't like slow and steady when it comes to being unemployed.  An I don't believe Slow and Steady applies in this field!  If anything is slow is steady... it will be my sex life! (Sometimes fast and rough is okay.... but it depends on your partner... you should really talk about it first... communication is key... and have a safety word... Like Banana...  or Creme Brulee...mmmm.... I love Creme Brulee.)     I'll be damned if I let my insecurities and fears keep me from working.  I didn't move away from my family just to live in New York City.  I moved for my career. Anything less than Full Out is unacceptable....   I stop for nothing! (except a job, feckin' duh!) Out of my way crazy homeless people....  I got no job to get to but I gotta get there FAST!

Have a lovely evening....  I'm going to watch Wipeout and laugh at other people falling and hurting themselves.

Ven

Oh... here's another picture of my inappropriate make-up.  It's a steaming pile of poo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey...I didn't want to leave a public comment and couldn't find any other way of contacting you like an email or anything, so I thought I would comment here. =) Drop me an email...hk10019midtown@gmail.com.... I read some of your postings and would love to comment on them. Privately =). Hope to hear from you

hk10019midtown@gmail.com

thanks