Friday, November 19, 2010

You can't say I have no class.

As a wee lad in Tropical Elementary School in Plantation, Florida...I learned a plethora of things, which is good to know,  because it was school....and you are supposed to learn things there.  So they got that down. In Kindergarten I learned that glue wasn't a food group.  In First Grade I learned the Ty Huber picked his nose and deposited it under the table for the booger fairy. In Second Grade I learned that Math sucked my prepubescent nut sack. In Third Grade I learned that if your backpack is so messy that you can't find your homework when it is due,  your mother will have to sit in the classroom with you and make sure you do do it (talk about a major cock block huh... there was some sweet third grade ass in Plantation, Florida, and nothing keeps your third-grade lipstick cap on like in-class, parental supervision.) In Fourth Grade I learned that I could coast through and get good grades without working too hard.  And in fifth grade I learned that sometimes you have to work really hard to get what you want when coasting through doesn't cut it.

There I was,  graduation...... of the Fourth Grade.  A huge step.  Well,  probably not that huge, I have short legs.  But anyway,  I was there.   Waiting for my name to be called,  and my safety-patrol badge handed to me. I saw my red-hair bobbing through the crowd of inferiors, heading toward my prize...  My badge of honor.  The pin of superiority.  The bright orange belt of POWER!   My name will be heard at any moment.   I was imagining myself showcasing my new privilege of standing up ON THE BUS!   Only those in the elite safety-patrol clan had the permission, balance, and core strength to walk the length of that yellow monster whilst it was moving!  Just a few more members left, look at the rest of them....  sad excuses for future fifth graders. I'm going to be a kind, and just Ruler.  The last name is called,  I rise.   I slowly begin to walk forward the claim my.... Wait, WHAT?   WHO?   That didn't sound anything like my name!  And why is that douche-nozzle being handed the last GOLDEN TICKET?  What is going on?   Is this really happening?   And why is it raining?  Oh... that's not rain...  it's applause...   for next year's safety patrols....   and I'M NOT ONE OF THEM!  

OH

MY

GOD!

I trip over something....   my pride.   I pick it up.  Listen to the teacher who just handed out the final badge...that whore.....and hear, "for those of you still interested in become safety-patrols, we will take a look at your work and behavior at the beginning of next year, and make more selections at that time."  In my mind I return her heart that I have just ripped from her chest with a smile, and silently make a vow to myself.  I WILL BECOME A SAFETY PATROL!   I WILL WORK AS HARD AS NECESSARY TO REACH MY GOAL!  Fifth Grade....    You bet your ass I became a safety patrol.   And you can bet someone else's ass that it was that much sweeter, and I was that much prouder of my accomplishment because I worked my ass off to get it!

Fast forward to present time.....   I say it again.   I will work as hard as necessary to reach my goal!  I will work and study and practice.... and since being back in NYC...  that is exactly what I am doing.  


In the past 3 months I have:

Taken a voice lesson almost every week.
Taken a 3-week on camera audition class with at Actors Connection. This class had 2 people that barely spoke English...   and I think you could hear my inner voice permeating the class, "please don't be my partner... please don't be my partner... POR FAVOR!!!!"   
Taken a life-changing 2 day new student on-camera intensive with Bob Krakower at One on One Studios. 
Taken a life-changing 4 day advance student on-camera with Bob Krakower at One on One Studios. (This experience must be discussed!  Amazing!)
Taken a 4 week on-camera audition class. (must write about this shit ball of a class at some point too!)
Rented private studio space at to work on audition material. 
Auditioned for an amazing Musical Theatre Audition class that is taken by some amazingly talented working actors in the business.....one of them being D.B. Bonds, a man I am honored to call my friend.  (Don't trip on the name that I just dropped please.) And I think I got in!   Now I just hope a spot opens up for me!  

I type this list out, not to boast, and certainly not to brag, but to remind myself that I am doing everything that I can to grow and improve as an actor while waiting for the next gig.  I promised myself to take classes when I came home, and I am doing that.  My savings account is dwindling and pretty soon I'm going to have to start personal training again.  Drop and Give Me 20!  In times of professional drought, it is easy to sit back and wallow in how slow the business is.  I have fallen into this pit before, but this time is different...at least for now!   I keep thinking about fifth grade, and how much brighter that fluorescent orange belt glowed and how much brighter that the metal-ish badge shined when I worked hard to get it. Whatever is next on the horizon for me, It will be that much more of a prize because I am not just sitting back, doing nothing, and expecting others to take me seriously and give me a chance.   I am working on me, my business, and ever looking for opportunities to add to my arsenal of tools.

Oh....  and I got a prescription for Xanax so I stopped freaking out before auditions.   Now.....   if I could just get an audition,  we'll see if it works!

Love thy neighbor, and suck my balls.  They are newly trimmed.  Trim the hedges and the tree looks bigger people!

LOVE LOVE LOVE

V




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just love you! Oh! And where was I in your history lesson? Oh ya! I didn't come along til middle school! That's right! Love you, proud of you!